This post contains affiliate links
#6 – Show Appreciation
Continuing in my 10-post series, 10 Ways to Strengthen Your Marriage, #6 on my list is “Show Appreciation.”
Showing appreciation to one’s spouse is very important in a marriage. There are many ways that married couples can show appreciation and they don’t all have to cost any money (although a little gift here and there never hurts!). So how do we show our spouse that we appreciate them? Here are five short ways I came up with to do just that:
- Say “Thank You:” We say thank you to customers, co-workers and to those providing some type of service. So why not say it to the one person who means the most to us in our lives. Two words make a big difference!
- Do something unexpected: Treat your spouse to a spa day, watch the kids for a few hours so that he or she has some free time, cook a special meal, clean the house, buy a surprise gift or a vacation. These are just a few of the many things that couples can do to show appreciation to each other.
- Write it down: How long has it been since you received a thank you note or a letter? We live in the age of technology so we can send an email, write a text or even just a regular old-fashioned hand-written letter to our spouse works wonders. Be creative!
- Send flowers: OK, men, this one is important. Our spouses love being surprised with a bouquet of roses unexpectedly. Why not? They are beautiful and are a symbol of love.
- Show respect: The way we treat each other shows how much we appreciate our spouse. Being kind, considerate and sympathetic to the other person’s needs first shows appreciation.